Welcome back to issue 23 of Curated by Accountants.
In case you missed it last month, make sure you explore the new edition of Karbon Magazine— Talent: the biggest challenge for accounting firms.
Must-reads this month
I love this from Jason Andrew: UX & product designers are making us dumber.
For those of you who have missed out on any of the Cloud Accountant Meetups in Brisbane, the lovely Heather Smith has uploaded the last four videos:
- Lessons learned from the 2017 Xero, MYOB and QBO Conferences
- Building your social proof for Cloud Accountants & Advisors with Wayne Schmidt
- Deep diving into reporting and business intelligence tool dataSights and Xero
- Improve cash flow & streamline payments with Integrapay
A nice wrap-up of Xerocon UK + AU.
Accountants’ days are often full of meetings, so it’s super-important that these meetings have a structure. This is a great article from Seth Godin on the crisp meeting.
A look at managing poor employee performance.
The 5-Hour Rule: if you’re not spending 5 hours per week learning, you’re being irresponsible.
QBConnect San Jose on 15-17 November.
ChangeGPS Annual Conference (Sydney) on 30 November.
Xerocon Austin 6-7th December (USA)
Podcast of the month
Friction with Bob Sutton is a short podcast from Stanford.
Quote of the month
“There are only two options: make progress or make excuses.”
Thanks for reading. I’d love your help with a couple of things if possible.
1. Enjoy this issue? Please forward it to one friend—this helps us grow.
2. Know someone who is writing thought-provoking reads for our Industry? Please let me know—I’d love to feature them in the next issue.
P.S. If you know any other accountants who would enjoy this newsletter, they can sign up to the mailing list here.